My Theory On Who SK La' Flare, off of Earl Sweatshirt's "Doris" Really Is

My Theory On Who SK La’ Flare, Off Of Earl Sweatshirt’s “Doris” Really Is.

By: Nick Zablocki


"Doris" By: Earl Sweatshirt

APPLE MUSIC SPOTIFY

            When the hip-hop collective Odd Future was initially blowing up in late 2011/early 2012, member Earl Sweatshirt was more of an urban legend, than an actual rapper. Hipster fans of OF knew about Earl from his 2010 self-titled mixtape “Earl.”[1] But, not long after the release of “Earl,” Earl was M.I.A. Rumors circulated through the early days of Twitter[2], it turned out Earl was sent to a Samoan boarding school for at risk boys. When he returned in the spring of 2012, Odd Future was massively more popular than when he left. The anticipation of what Earl would do now that he was home, reached a fever pitch. A stand out verse on “Oldie” off of The OF Tape 2, which featured most of the members of OF at the time, let fans know that Earl had not fallen off while in Samoa. Now it was time to deliver on his potential with an album.
            A little over a year later, in August of 2013, Earl released his debut album “Doris.” to much critical success. 15 tracks and not a weak one out of the bunch. Earl displays a complete mastery of the English language through dense rhyme schemes. There are a gaggle of stand out features, including, Vince Staples and Mac Miller. But, the most enigmatic moment of the album happens on the opening track, “Pre,” with a feature from someone named “SK La’ Flare.” The audacity for this overall nobody of a rapper to have the opening verse, on the opening song of the album, is hilarious. The verse is probably about a 6/10, which is only exacerbated by Earl completely popping off with a dynamo 10/10 verse to follow him up. All in all, it’s a very classic Earl move. But, it leaves me with many questions, chiefly, who exactly is “SK La’ Flare?”
            A quick rap.genius search will reveal that Mr. SK La’ Flare is supposedly Frank Ocean’s cousin. We are also provided with a picture that we are led to believe is SK La’ Flare. Other than that, there isn’t much to find out about him. Fine, whatever. I’ve been listening to this song for over 4 years now, and I just always accepted that Earl let this random guy spit an average verse to open up “Doris.” That is, until a couple months ago.
            A few months ago I was really fucking high, (shocker), and “Pre” came up on my shuffle. I kept it running, as I always do.[3] Something about this listen struck me different though. I was listening to SK La’ Flare’s verse, which, despite me ragging on it, has a lot of swag, and is easy to rap along with. Then, like the apple falling on Isaac Newton’s noggin, inspiration struck me. It occurred to me, what if SK La’ Flare is actually Vince Staples playing a character?
            Here’s what we know: Vince Staples was featured on three songs off of “Doris,”[4] so he was definitely present at some, if not all, of the recording sessions for the album. Earl and Vince are both clowns in their own unique way, especially when together. “SK La’ Flare” feels like the sort of name they would come up with for a character rapper whose whole shtick is saying mediocre lines. SK La’ Flare’s verse both sounds like the sort of things Vince Staples would say if he was writing a bullshit verse, and, quite literally, sounds like Vince Staples if he was slightly fucking around with his voice. The cover story of “SK La’ Flare” being Frank Ocean’s cousin seems like the sort of lie Earl and Vince would come up with on the spot. If you’re asking me, I think “SK La’ Flare” is actually Vince Staples.
            To be honest, I think I believe my theory because it’s funny and adds another layer to this perplexing feature choice, more than I actually believe it to be literally “true.” It just seems very plausible, so I view “Pre” through the lens that “SK La’ Flare” is actually Vince Staples playing a character. But, I will grant that SK La’ Flare very well could be a separate from Vince Staples, living, breathing human being. I just prefer my theory more.



[1] Earl absolutely brutalizes the English language on this mixtape. Think MF DOOM’s dense, multi-syllable flow, crossed with the most grotesque violence of Eminem. And, Earl was only 16 at the time. Ridiculous.
[2] Remember the early days of Twitter? Everyone said literally anything, there was no filter. Remember before the P.C. vultures ball-and-chained everyone’s fun? My favorite tweet from this era, is a January 2011 tweet from Kevin Durant that simply states, “Scarlett Johansson I will drink ur bath water…#random.” Wow, those were the good ol’ days.
[3] This beat rattles whatever speakers it’s coming through. Headphones? Check. Bluetooth speaker? Check. Car Speakers? Check.
[4] Burgundy, Hive, & Centurion.

Comments

Popular Posts